So, you really like BlackBerry Services including BlackBerry Hub, Password Keeper, BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)
and all of the other familiar offerings found in the robust software suite from everyone's favorite Kitchener / Waterloo "Tech" Company? Maybe you're also looking at making the move over to Android from an older BB10 device? Perhaps you just want a secure smartphone that is designed to keep your personal data protected? Maybe you'd like good specifications at an extremely affordable price? If you answered "yes" to any of the aforementioned questions, then BlackBerry may just have you covered with their latest offering, the DTEK50. Deriving its name from the security application of the same name, DTEK from BlackBerry
. DTEK monitors what applications are asking "permission" for on the device and provides a "status" based on the information and access. Security is also enhanced right from the bootloader (requires signed OS) through the various layers of the DTEK50 hardware and software (known as the "Hardware Root of Trust"). Moving away from security, the DTEK50 is driven by a Qualcomm SnapDragon 617 Octa-core Processor
, 3GB of RAM and Micro SD expandability (2TB, "hot-swappable), so this device is no slouch in the performance department! The 5.2" OLED screen presents a reasonable 424PPI and "mediaphiles" are going to love the dual-front and back speaker design
that puts other OEM offerings to shame. An 8MP front shooter (camera)
is present for the "Selfie-Taker" in you, and the 13MP rear-shooter (back camera)
can also kick-out some great shots! The ability to re-map buttons and double-tap the screen to wake are really convenient. Add in business tweaks such as the Productivity Hub
and you have a device that is perfect for both work and play! Did we mention the DTEK50 has a rather inexpensive price? Well that's just icing on the cake, but don't take our word for it, ask to see the DTEK50 at any of our retail locations or simply take the plunge and get your own. You'll thank us later!
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) OS.
- LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 12/17, 29, 30, 1, 3, 20,
HSPA+ Bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 8,
GPRS/EDGE bands 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.
- 64 Bit, (4x) 1.5 GHz + (4x) 1.2 GHz Octa-Core, Qualcomm MSM8952, Snapdragon™ 617 Processor with Adreno 405, 550 MHz GPU.
- 5.2", 1080 x 1920 (424PPI), 16:9 aspect ratio, scratch-resistant display.
- 13MP dual-tone LED flash, rear-camera, 8MP front camera.
- 16GB memory, expandable up to 2TB via "hot-swappable" MicroSD cards (sold separately).
- 3GB of RAM.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz), 802.11 a/ac/n 5GHz with 4G Mobile Hotspot and Wi-Fi Direct support.
- Bluetooth 4.2. LE.
- NFC compatible (supports Android Beam, Tap and Pay, and Tap and Go).
- Supported audio & Video formats include 3GP, 3G2, AAC, AVI, ADTS, ASF, AWB, DIVX, FLAC, IMY, MID, MKV, MOV, MP3, MPEG-4, MXMF, OGG, OTA, RTTTL, RTX, WAV, WEBM, WMV, XMF.
- 2610mAh embedded (non-removable), quick-charge capable battery providing up to 17 hours of talk-time or up to 24 days of standby time on LTE (optimal conditions). 17 hours of mixed usage.
- This device utilizes a Nano SIM Card.
- 1 year limited warranty covered by BlackBerry.
- Pre-loaded Help Center application (Support Application).
- Online support available at BlackBerry Mobile
- BlackBerry Call Centre support is available by phone at 1-866-957-0761. Hours of operations are Mon-Sun 8AM-11PM EST.