Samsung announced the new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus Devices at their 2017 "Unboxing Event". So are these going to be a great smartphones? Will they be plagued with issues similar to those that impacted the beautiful, yet ill-fated Note 7 line? Can eight months really make a huge difference in the build quality and specifications for Samsung Devices, after all, it feels like the Galaxy S7 line just game out recently? Simply put, those eight months appear to have afforded Samsung the valuable recovery time needed to produce and enhance the "S Line" into something really great! Both the S8 and S8 Plus feature less bezel and include larger "Infinity" displays that are built into the solid, curved, IP68 rated housings. Both devices are very comfortable to hold. The infinity Display is also beautiful and it's remarkable to see these 5.8" GS8 or 6.2" screens tucked into the GS8 Plus devices! As mentioned, the ultra-thin bezels create the appearance of an almost edge-to-edge look for the displays. It's interesting to see the removal of the physical menu, home and back keys that we are used to on Android. These are now on-screen and exhibit subtle tactile, vibrations when touched or used. Samsung "S-Voice" has now evolved into Bixby, a voice-operated digital assistant that provides interesting ways to interact with your GS8 device. It will be great to see what developers are able to accomplish once Samsung opens this up to developers for use in third party apps. Security and quick access is rounded out via the rear biometric scanner and also via an Iris Scanner, which allows you to unlock your device without physical contact (facial recognition), simply look or glance at the device. Can you say "Selfie Unlock"? Audiophiles may also enjoy the GS8 line as both the GS8 and GS8 Plus feature "Ultra-High-Quality" (UHD) Audio which should provide a very robust music experience. 64GB of onboard memory is available, and it's nice to have expandability via
The Samsung Galaxy S8 also comes in Orchid Grey
- Android 7.0 (Nougat) preloaded.
- LTE Advanced with maximum download speeds of up to 425 Mbps (optimal conditions).
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (MSM8998) Octa-core Processor (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.9 GHz Quad) with Adreno 540 GPU.
- 5.8”, 1440 x 2960 resolution (570 ppi), Super AMOLED, Infinity Main Display.
- 12MP, f/1.7, 26mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS, LED flash main camera.
- 8MP, f/1.7, autofocus, front-facing camera.
- 64GB internal memory (exact user available memory varies).
- 4GB RAM.
- MicroSD (up to 256GB) expandable memory.
- Bluetooth® 5.0 with A2DP profiles, LE.
- NFC compatible.
- USB Type-C with fast-charging capabilities.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct capable, Mobile Hotspot capable.
- 3.5mm headset jack.
- IP68 rated.
- Samsung DeX capable (desktop experience support).
- 3000mAh, non-removable battery.
- This device utilizes a Nano SIM Card.
- Online support available at Samsung
- Samsung Call Centre support is available by phone at 1-800-726-7864. Hours of operations are Mon-Sun 8:30AM-12:00AM EST. Customer support is available 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.